Thank you for visiting the TAA to learn more about Tourette Syndrome and Tic Disorders and to help us raise awareness during Tourette Syndrome Awareness Month which extends from May 15 to June 15.
Here, you’ll find more information about Tourette Syndrome, Tic Disorders, and other co-occurring conditions and you’ll find tools, events, and resources that you can use to help build a world where our community can #TicFreely. Because when people know better, they do better.
Learn More about Tourette Syndrome and Tic Disorders
Tourette Syndrome (TS) is part of a spectrum of hereditary, childhood-onset, neurodevelopmental conditions referred to as Tic Disorders. These conditions affect both children and adults, causing them to make sudden, uncontrollable movements and/or sounds called tics. TS and tics can be emotionally, physically, and socially debilitating.
Interested in finding out more about Tourette Syndrome or Tic Disorders? Start here to learn more.
Take Action through Advocacy
Contact Congressional leaders through our Take Action Letter which is a pre-populated virtual letter that helps you advocate for the most pressing public policy issues that face the Tourette Syndrome and Tic Disorders community. Let us know who you advocate for by using #IAdvocateFor on social media.
Be Part of the Awareness
- Teal Tuesdays – Wear Teal on Tuesdays: Cover yourself in teal from head to toe! Get creative and post your pictures on social media – clothes, ties, bracelets, buttons, hair, nail polish, face paint – be all in for awareness!
- Get Involved in Your Local Chapters and Support Groups: There are so many ways you can get involved and help others. Find and join a TAA Chapter or Support Group in your area.
Spread Awareness Locally
- Leverage Your Local Officials: Are there landmarks in your community with a lighting program? Do you want to proclaim a local day for Tourette Syndrome and Tic Disorders Awareness in your community? Talk to your local officials to find out the options in your area.
- Contact Local Media: Contact your local media outlets to spread the word about Tourette Syndrome and Tic Disorders awareness.
- Involve Your Local Businesses: Any local shop, café, or restaurant can help spread awareness. Recruit your local businesses to post a sign in their windows, keep flyers at their counters, and more.
Spread Awareness with NEW Merch!
The Tourette Association of America’s online shop is the place for all kinds of TAA-branded merchandise that helps you start a conversation about Tourette Syndrome and other Tic Disorders. A portion of every purchase goes to the TAA to help spread awareness, support research, and develop new ways to support over 1 million Americans with Tourette Syndrome and Tic Disorders!
Help the TAA Build Tools so We Can #TICfreely
Donate here to help the TAA build tools like our Digital Tourette ID Card to ensure we’re on the path to a #TICfreely world this Tourette Syndrome Awareness Month, because we know that when people know better, they will do better.
After all, in a #TICfreely world, there’s no explanation needed. Help the TAA to champion the awareness that our community deserves.
Create Your Own Fundraiser
Use Social Media to Spread Awareness
Advocate on social media with a few of our sample social media posts, below!