Our public policy efforts expand far beyond the steps of Capitol Hill on National Advocacy Day. The TAA evaluates the needs of the TS community across the country and advocates for topics related to education and disabilities, general health care, telehealth, funding of research, access to treatment and care, and prevention of genetic and other forms of medical discrimination. In Fiscal Year 20, the TAA signed on in support of 11 bills that directly support the TS and Tic Disorder community. They include:
- Step Therapy bill to improve appeal process.
- Increases transparency and compliance for mental and behavioral health coverage as required by law.
- Provides authority for Department of Labor to enforce civil penalties if employer insurance programs are not complying with mental health parity as required by law.
- Electronic prior authorization and increased transparency for Medicare Advantage.
- Creates a National Center for Information and Technical Support for Postsecondary Student with Disabilities and improves documentation colleges and universities shall accept for accommodations.
- Requires phone number for suicide hotline and campus mental health services to be included on student IDs.
- This bill requires the National Institutes of Health (NIH) to expand, intensify, and coordinate NIH research on Tourette Syndrome.
- Creates designation of 988 as an easy-to-remember, universal number for to those seeking help for mental health crises and suicide prevention and ensure this line is universally available and fully funded
- Removes some barriers for telehealth coverage for Medicare via the Social Security Act, expands coverage of telehealth for mental health, expands coverage for telehealth use in the home.
- Makes the temporary reduction permanent from 10% to 7.5% in the AGI threshold before a taxpayer can claim an itemized tax deduction for medical expenses
- This bill makes the coverage for telehealth provided during COVID permanent when the public health emergency ends
If you haven’t had the opportunity to reach out to your local representative, fill out the form below and you will advocate for the above bills that best support our community.