I’ve spent a fair amount of time thinking about what I’d like to say to you all this holiday season. To be honest, I’ve struggled to steer clear of being too cliché, too negative, too positive, or too predictable. I’ve struggled with these thoughts because it’s been such an unpredictable time in an uncertain year.
When we gathered together in January to plan the year ahead, the TAA team and I could not have imagined a year like 2020. Above anything else, this was a year where our need for one another was highlighted, bold-faced, ENLARGED. We needed to acclimate, pivot, and turn on a dime — that’s something the TAA has done particularly well in the face of COVID-19.
From increasing our webinar offerings to hosting our first Virtual Conference, inaugural Virtual Gala and upcoming Virtual Advocacy Day, TAA staff and volunteers have rallied to ensure those living in the community who need us will always have access to us. Yet we could not have accomplished as much as we did without your unwavering support. Please continue your involvement and support by making a donation by December 31, as it will be doubled thanks to a matching gift.
We know this pandemic continues to wreak havoc on the TS community. Increasing anxiety has led to heightened tics which can lead to more judgement and stigma. That is why we have planned community-driven virtual programming such as the Teen Summit, where teens will have the opportunity to connect with peers and discuss topics that are important to them. In addition, the Youth Ambassador and Rising Leader trainings will train teens and young adults to be the next generation of TS leaders.
Adults and professionals are encouraged to join us for our upcoming programming including the Adult Task Force Webinar Series, the OT Professional Webinar Series, the Provider Webinar Series, and the Education Professional Webinar Series — be sure to be on the lookout in the next couple of weeks as we release more information. We also have a number of parenting-focused programs planned in 2021, including a Just for Dads presentation and forum in January. The entire family is welcome to join us tomorrow, December 17 at 7pm EST, for a Holiday Watch Party of the Virtual Gala. The holiday season may look different this year, but our community can still gather virtually for a festive evening of inspiration.
While I think it’s safe to say we are all hoping for a better 2021, we can thank 2020 for reminding us of what is truly important. Family, friends, and community. I want to thank the TS community for supporting us and one another. As we enter 2021, I am grateful to you for entrusting me with the future of this important organization. I wish you all the happiest of holidays and a New Year full of promise and hope.
Suck a Lemon Challenge
An estimated 50% of individuals living with TS are going undiagnosed, but the Tourette Association of America Southern California Chapter is on a mission to change that statistic. Take part in the Chapter’s Suck a Lemon Challenge!
This fun activity is designed to bring people together in a safe, sour and amusing way! The Suck a Lemon Challenge shines a light on Tourette Syndrome while raising funds that can further awareness, research and support efforts.
Support Cutting-Edge Research
The TAA is dedicated to improving the lives of individuals impacted by TS by supporting cutting-edge research. Our 2020 grant cycle recently closed its call for pre-proposals, and we received 33 applications from institutions located in the US, Israel, Italy, Germany, Australia, France, and the Netherlands.
Become a Youth Ambassador or Rising Leader
The trainings offer a space to connect with other young adults while learning advocacy practices. Discover how to educate your community on TS and Tic Disorders.
Advocate for the TS Community
This year has been unique, and this is now your opportunity to take advantage of its uniqueness by participating in Virtual National Advocacy Day.
On March 3, 2021, join the TS community across the country in discussing the issues that matter most with your state’s elected officials, right from your own home! The early bird registration rate is 50% off until December 31.
[News & Events]
- 12/17/20: TAA Gala Holiday Watch Party
- 12/19/20: Pixel Noise Gaming Fundraiser
- 12/20/20: The Stand Fundraiser in Southern California
- 1/7/21 – 1/10/21: 2021 Walt Disney World® Marathon Weekend
- 1/9/21: Teen Summit
- 1/12/21: TAA Bingo Night*
- 1/20/21: Just for Dads – A Discussion on TS and Parenting
- 1/28/21: TAA Trivia Night*
- 2/10/21: Education Professional Series: Tourette Syndrome: Managing OCD and Anxiety in School*
- 2/18/21: Adult Task Force Webinar Series: Advocacy 101*
- 2/26/21 – 3/3/21: Youth Ambassador Training
- 2/26/21 – 3/3/21: Rising Leader Training
- 3/3/21: National Advocacy Day
- 3/4/21: OT Professional Webinar Series: Unleash Your Superpower!*
- 3/9/21: Provider Education Webinar Series: Treatment and Management of ADHD and Impulse Control*
- 3/18/21: OT Professional Webinar Series: Success in the Educational Environment*
- 3/24/21: Education Professional Webinar Series: Classroom Strategies and Accommodations for Students with TS*
- 3/25/21: Adult Task Force Webinar Series: Women Living with TS*
- 4/1/21: OT Professional Webinar Series: Case Vignettes, Applications and Resources for OTs*
- 4/8/21: Provider Education Webinar Series: Refractory TS*
- 4/21/21: Education Professional Webinar Series: Instructional Teaching Strategies to Support Students with Tourette Syndrome and ADHD, Anxiety, and Executive Function Needs*
- 5/13/21: Provider Education Webinar Series: TS and Tic Disorder Treatments*
- 5/14/21 – 5/16/21: National Conference
- 5/15/21 – 6/15/21: Miles for Tourette*
- 5/19/21: Education Professional Webinar Series: Positive and Proactive Supports for Challenging Behaviors Associated with TS and Co-Occurring Conditions*
- 6/6/21: National Awareness 5K Run/Walk*
- 6/16/21: Education Professional Webinar Series: Handwriting Difficulties and Sensory Processing Disorder*
- 6/28/21: Illinois Golf Classic
- 7/13/21: Provider Education Webinar Series: Transition to Adult Care*
* Save the Date! More information coming soon!